Saturday, February 8, 2020

Treadmill Motivation, Movie Review of Turtles & Hares

I've still been walking outside most mornings, but will sometimes jump on the treadmill for a second walk (or slow trot) later in the day.  I didn't think that having the TV in the garage would make that much of a difference in my activity level since the treadmill is boring and I prefer to be outside, but surprisingly, it's turning out to be a very good incentive.

Normally when I watch TV in the living room, I have to be doing something else at the same time ... crocheting, working crossword puzzles - something. I don't know how to not multi-task.  While the post-concussion symptoms are getting somewhat better, I still can't crochet for more than a couple of minutes at a time, and when working a crossword puzzle, moving my eyes back and forth from the page with the clues to the puzzle itself is especially hurtful and sends me into a tailspin.  Since I can't do much of that, walking while watching a movie is a good alternative.

I mentioned before that I've been adding movies to my watch list so I'll always have something at the ready when I climb aboard the 'mill.  My pick for the other day was Turtles & Hares, free to watch on Amazon Prime Video. It wasn't a very long movie, just under an hour, so was perfect to get 3 miles or so in at a walk.

Turtles & Hares is about Team Carrie, a group of people in Ireland who are training for the Dublin Marathon.  Coached by David Carrie, this little town of less than 2,000 residents now has almost half that amount who have completed the full 26.2 miles over the last couple of years.  What an incredible feat!

It's not a Hollywood blockbuster for sure, but for a basic documentary that chronicles the weeks of training to get complete non-running men and women of all ages across the finish line of a marathon, I'll give it a solid 3.5 out of 5 stars.  The Irish Brogues can be a bit challenging to understand sometimes over the noise of the treadmill, but it wasn't difficult to follow along.  I probably wouldn't watch it again, but it filled up an hour's time for a second workout where I didn't want to commit to a full-length movie so it served its purpose.

Do you have a favorite movie or show you like to watch while on the treadmill?  Please share!

~ Marie Anne

So far today:

6.34 mi hike w/Team RWB friend at semi-local state park

Challenge tallies to date:

Taji 100:  42.82 miles
RTY2020 dedicated activity:  146.7 miles
RTY2020 total steps:  274.12 miles
Amerithon:  274.12 miles

Yesterday's Fitbit stats:

15,182 steps
6.79 miles




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my post. Much appreciated!