Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Taji 100, Local Support, New Boredom Breaker While Walking

I've signed up for several virtual challenges lately, and the one near and dear to me is the Taji 100.  Army Captain Carole DiPardo started it in 2010, challenging troops in Iraq to run 100 miles during the month of February.  That challenge continues today, and it's open to everyone.

I can't run right now, but did sign up to get my 100 miles this month by walking, or crawling if I have to (given my penchant for injuries anymore, that's not outside of the realm of possibility!).  As of the end of the day today, February 5, I have logged over 27 miles, so I'm on track to get my 100 miles and then some (barring injury).  I'm only counting dedicated walking miles, nor all of my steps, as with other challenges.

Yesterday I walked a full 10K (6.2 miles), and today I started out with 4 miles.  There was a slight mist in the air, but not enough to get me wet, which was a good thing because I hadn't grabbed any rain gear before venturing out.  About 2 miles or so in, a car passing me in the same direction slowed down, and a woman rolled down her window and hollered at me to 'keep it up!'.  It was misting just enough for windshield wipers on a low delay setting, so she was likely encouraging me for being out there in less than perfect weather.  The big smile on her face and thumb's up made my day, and who knows, maybe it'll encourage her to get out and do something good for herself too.

I often listen to music or sermons while out and about, but I've decided not to take my headphones with me all the time, and just pay attention to what's out there.  I have very good hearing, and I realized the other day that the light tinkling sound I sometimes hear when out walking is the same sound as my Ring doorbell security device.  My new boredom breaker is to keep an eye out for Ring doorbells and when I spot one, turn towards it with a smile and a wave.  Maybe I'll make someone else's day.

Not long after I got home, my new TV was delivered.  I had taken advantage of the pre-Super Bowl sales and bought a new one so that my old one could go in the garage where my treadmill is.  After I had everything set up, I decided to hit the 'mill and walk for a bit, and ended up with an additional 3.35 miles while watching a short movie.  Oh, that's another thing ... I'm looking for motivational movies or instructional videos that have to do with walking/running/fitness in general, and will be reviewing those here also.  I'll make another short post later about the movie I watched today.  If you have any favorites, please let me know in the comments.

More to follow soon, so make sure to like my Facebook page so you'll see updates (Staying Fit in My 60s), and subscribe to this blog so that you don't miss anything.

 ~ Marie Anne

Challenge tallies to date:

Taji 100:  27.81 miles
RTY2020 dedicated activity:  210.68 miles
RTY2020 total steps:  251.53 miles
Amerithon:  251.53 miles

Today's Fitbit stats:

22,401 steps
10.42 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my post. Much appreciated!