Friday, May 4, 2018

Running Strategies, and One More Workout Goal Crossed Off My List


Image may contain: grass, tree, sky, outdoor and nature   


Anyone who knows me knows that I go in spurts with just about everything I do ... fitness, crocheting and quilting, most any activity I'm involved with ... but that's not always a good thing.  Since I'm old, overweight with bad knees and ankles, and have osteoporosis with increased risk of bone fracture (been there, done that, not going there again), it's definitely not.  I had a good talk with myself the other day and promised that I would practice a little moderation, and run only a couple of days a week, and walk or do nothing the alternate days.  Every runner needs recovery days, and this old body needs them probably more than most.

I started to put that plan into practice this week.  I love trotting the nearby Rails to Trails path not far from my home in Jacksonville, NC.  I've run 5 miles a couple of times, and 4 miles several times, and one goal is to run the 8 miles from the park to the main gate at Camp Lejeune and back.  I trotted 4 miles on May 1, took a day off on May 2, and decided to walk the 8 miles yesterday (May 3), with rucksack so I could tote snacks and my camelbak for water.  I figured walking that distance first would give me a good feel for any terrain issues I might not be prepared for on a run.

Image may contain: bridge, outdoor and water


Image may contain: sky, outdoor, nature and water

As I said, that's what I had planned to do.  But we all know what that means.

I started off at a walk, but about a quarter mile in, I figured why not try just a little trot to see how it felt.  It felt good. 😃  I think I only slowed to a walk for one more short leg of the distance to base, then decided I wanted to go through the gate, and ended up going to the 5 mile mark before turning around.  I trotted about a mile after turning, but did make myself walk most of the remaining 4 miles.  So my 8 mile planned walk ended up being 10 miles with more trotting than walking, probably 6-7 miles worth.  So much for that plan.

Image may contain: tree, sky and outdoor

In hindsight, I realize that was a pretty stupid thing to do.  I just recently moved back to this area and am still waiting on my initial visit with primary care to get established with the VA health care system here, so an injury at this point definitely wouldn't be a good idea.  I also have a 5K coming up in a couple of weeks, and I don't want to be sidelined for that.  And having to call someone for assistance to get me home isn't my idea of a fun day.

But I'm not sorry that I did it.  After some thought, I realized that 10 miles is the most I've ever done - running or walking - in my life.  That's quite an accomplishment for an overweight, almost 62 year old lady.  I ran the Aloha run two years in a row when stationed in Hawaii in the early 90s, and I think that's 8.25 miles or thereabouts.  I also ran a little over 7 miles once on a bike trail in Ohio a couple of years ago, but even then I was probably 25 or so lbs lighter.  I've done 6.2 miles (10K, but not in a race) just a few times, but not recently.  The most I've done since moving back to NC and getting serious again is 5 miles.  And I doubled that yesterday.  As I said, probably not my smartest move, but I got 'er done, and without injury ... just minor stiffness (and one bite from a particularly ornery deer fly).

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor

Having completed the trek to the gate and back (and then some), I'm going to stay focused on my original plan to spread out my workouts a little better.  I took it easy the rest of the day yesterday, and this morning I walked just over a mile before breakfast, then took the dogs out for about the same distance, and I'm calling that good for today.  I might do a little work in the yard, but no mowing, maybe just digging in flower beds and such.  Next trip to the trail will probably be 4 miles, maybe actually on the main drag on base, but I don't think I'll do anything longer than that until after my 5K race on the 19th.  Once that's behind me, maybe I'll shoot for completing the full 8 mile distance at a trot.

Moderation.  Keep me accountable.

~ Marie Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my post. Much appreciated!