Saturday, May 12, 2018

Running Skirts - Yea or Nay? Sparkle Skirt is a Big Yes!

News flash - I'm not a small woman.  Even when I weighed a buck and a quarter in another lifetime, I still had a big butt.  I've always been self-conscious about it, and getting back on the fitness train at my current size makes me more of a target, at least in my own mind.  No one has commented on how silly I look when out running, but I'm my own worst critic.  I don't let it stop me, though.  I know I'm working towards a better me inside, no matter what I look like on the surface.

Still, I have trouble finding workout tops that are wide enough to cover my hips, and long enough to really cover my butt and allow me to feel comfortable out on the road.  Then I remembered running skirts.  Would that work for me?  I did some snooping and was surprised at the choices available out there.

Lots of runners wear tutus (skirts made from layers of tulle), especially in themed races, but I thought the layers would draw even more attention to an area that I'm trying to downplay.  That's definitely not my goal.  Then I found Sparkle Skirts, and fell in love.

Sparkle Skirts are very simple skirts, with lightweight elastic waistbands, and sewn  in a drop-waist style that is flattering on almost every body type.  I was concerned whether the XL (the largest size they make) would be big enough for me without fitting too snug, but I checked the size chart and took a chance.  I think it fits me perfectly, and might even be able to go down a size.

Before ordering, I was also concerned about added weight or bulkiness, knowing that I'd probably only be wearing the skirt when running a race, where every little thing matters.  I have mild sensory issues, and if even the slightest thing is out of whack, it'll drive me crazy.  Cross that concern off the list, because this running skirt is very lightweight and wasn't in the way of my arms or hands at all, or flapping annoyingly in the breeze.  Because it weighs next to nothing, I didn't even remember that I had it on when I gave it a 2 mile trial run this morning.

I bought the basic Sparkle Skirt in Gunmetal Gray, but now that I have this one, I want more, maybe in brighter and happier colors.  I have my first 5K race in a long time next Saturday, so I think I'll set a goal time and treat myself if I beat it.

There are lots of other colors and styles available - even polka dots and unicorns - so I'm sure you'll find something that will 'spark' your fancy.  You can buy them directly from Sparkle Athletic and also find Sparkle Skirts on Amazon.

~ Marie Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my post. Much appreciated!