Friday, April 13, 2018

Running the Rails - Or Trotting the Trails

I mentioned in my earlier post that I wanted to check out another trail nearby that would allow for a bit longer runs.  There's a Rails to Trails location that starts about 2 miles from my house and goes all the way to base (Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune) that's about a 10-mile out-n-back. I headed out last Friday to check it out.  It's a nice trail, but I had a hard time figuring out where to park based on where they say the trail starts.


I started at the beginning of the trail and turned around as I approached the pedestrian walkway that goes over Hwy 24, logging 4 miles on that first trip.  It's a really nice trail, with just a few twists and turns and having to cross a couple of side streets, but flat and fully paved.



While I was out that day, I noticed a few other places I could park further along the trail, so I went out again Wednesday and started at a park (with bathrooms!), hoping to get closer to base on this trip.  Conditions were near perfect - approximately 55°, sun with a few clouds, little to no wind.  I was a little stiff so started off slow, wanting to just enjoy the trot and see where it took me.

I hadn't gone far when I saw the pedestrian walkway ahead of me.  It goes up and over, crossing 6 lanes of traffic.  Have I mentioned that I don't do heights?  As I went up the short incline to get onto the bridge, I spooked and almost turned around, but somehow managed to talk myself into it.  I took a few pictures, then literally tiptoed the span, shaking like a leaf all the way.  I'm pretty sure my heart rate was highest at that point of the run, even though I wasn't even walking at a normal speed, much less trotting.  The worst part was knowing that even if I managed to get over it without a full-on anxiety attack, I would still have to come back!





(The cars and street look closer and don't show the full height of the bridge. 
 I forgot that I still had a bit of zoom on from earlier photos.  It was definitely higher than I was comfortable with!).

But make it I did.  The rest of the trail was flat and straight and I continued on without issue.  I was just shy of the 2.5 mile point when I came upon a Marine holding a stopwatch, timing the turnaround of a PFT.  I paused and chatted with her for a bit before moving on, then thought to holler back and ask her how far to the main gate.  She said it was about a mile and a half, to which I replied 'NOPE, not today!', knowing that would have put me at 8 miles or so ... risking injury at my current weight. Not happening, GI.  I did an about face and headed for home.

The return trip was uneventful, and I stayed at an easy lope.  I was still a little apprehensive when I got to the bridge, but I did push myself over at a slightly slower than normal pace (but better than my earlier crawl), so hopefully it'll get easier each time I do it.  A glance at my watch told me that stopping at the park would put me at around 4.8 mi, so I trotted a short distance beyond, then around the park area to get a full 5 miles in.

All in all I was pleased with the run. I'm still slower than I'd like to be, but I'm also older, just getting back into it, and carrying more weight than I was when doing 3-6 miles fairly consistently several times a week two years ago.  I want it all ... today ... but after previous debilitating injuries, I know I have to pace myself.

I felt great on this trip, even logged negative splits for the first time, which was a nice bonus. I hit my max heart rate too, so will need to watch that.  It might take a while, but my goal is to do the full 8 mile or so distance from the park to base and back.  Maybe next time I'll park at the main gate and start at the other end.

Next stop?  Onslow Beach!

~ Marie Anne






2 comments:

  1. Keep it up! You'll get to that turn-around! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as I can ward off injuries, I'll get there! My first run on the long trail in Ohio a couple of years ago was 7+ miles. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my post. Much appreciated!