Sunday, January 3, 2016

Whole30 Decision Time - I'm Going In!

After finding out about the Whole30 program, the other night, I knew this is what I needed to get my eating under control, as well as some health issues that I'm facing.  Anyone who knows me knows that when I decide I want to do something, I want to do it RIGHT NOW, in pretty much every area of my life.

Whole30 was no different, and once I read a little about it, I wanted to start right then, on January 1, to begin the New Year on the right foot.

After further exploring the program, I knew that it wasn't smart to tackle such a severely limited regimen without some prep work first, so I put my first idea on hold for a bit.  They actually recommend that you put a lot of thought into your start date so that you don't set yourself up for failure, so delaying my decision lined up with that.

But ... I'm ready now!  I'm going to start tomorrow morning, Monday, January 4, 2016.

Today I made my shopping list of foods that are compliant on Whole30 and off I went to Aldi, Sam's Club, and Walmart to pick up enough for at least the first few days of the program.  I don't normally buy much meat so just the big pack of hamburger and country pork ribs just about put me over my food budget for the month, and the $10 jar of almond butter almost made me cry, but all three of those things will last quite a while, so I just chucked it in the cart and moved on.

I already had eggs, oranges, lettuce, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, green beans, and chicken at home that are compliant, so the only other things I bought today besides the meat and almond butter was coconut milk, white potatoes, pears, and a cucumber.  The apples and bananas at Walmart sucked and they didn't have any grapes, so I'll pick those up elsewhere this week.

Breakfast tomorrow will be interesting since I don't have any compliant breakfast meats, but I'll make do.  Omelette made with eggs, coconut milk, mushrooms, and broccoli sounds like a good start, and I might throw in a handful of ground beef with it.  I can mix up a sauce of some sort with the coconut milk and drizzle that over the egg to get more fat in, and have a pear or half an orange (I have to watch the citrus since my ph level was pretty high last week).  A splash of coconut milk in my (usually black) tea should complete the meal.

I'm not big on fixing fancy meals, so lunch and dinner will most likely just be a serving of meat with sweet or white potato, and other veggies with a compliant sauce or salad with dump ranch dressing.  I see a lot of repetition in my future, but I do that now anyway, so it's not a big deal.

So, I'm off and running, and ready to do this thing.  I'm determined to do the Whole30!

~ Marie Anne


3 comments:

  1. Honestly, you really don't need a meat with an egg for breakfast. Just something I learned with the diet I'm on which from what I read is really close to what you're doing with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I've got 3 days under my belt. I didn't experience any of the lethargy I was warned about. So far I've enjoyed all but one meal. Stopping in between meal snacking has been tough. Even grabbing a few grapes is off limits now, but I assume that is a good habit to break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you made that chance comment in the group. This is going to be life-changing, I know it!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my post. Much appreciated!