Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Bored walking on the treadmill? Not since I got my Kindle holder!


Walking or jogging on the treadmill never really bothered me much before, as long as there was something decent to watch on TV.  Since there's not much I care to even watch on television nowadays, it's become more of a chore.  Even if there is something on that doesn't rattle my morals, I have to crank the volume up so that I can hear it over the noise of the treadmill, and I'm sure my three dogs don't appreciate that too much.

It got better when I got these awesome in-ear headphones or earbuds or whatever you want to call them, and could listen to my audio bible app or my pastor's sermons that I missed,  They're very good quality and the sound is amazingly crisp.  Still, I'd rather be watching something while I walk or jog on the 'dreadmill', rather than just listen.  I do use the earbuds extensively when I walk outside, though.

Although I swore I never wanted a Kindle, much preferring to turn the actual pages of a book, I broke down and ordered the Kindle Fire just before Christmas when they were on sale.  It turned out to be a wise purchase for me, and money well spent, as I was able to use it while traveling over the holiday, and in most cases it got a better connection than my slow, cheap laptop did.

When the weather turned much colder and now that there's snow added to the mix, much of my walking is indoors.  To keep from going batty, I needed to find a shelf or holder so I could fire up the Kindle and read while walking.  Of course I went straight to amazon, where I found this exercise mount for iPad that had decent reviews and didn't cost an arm and a leg, so decided to give it a try.

At first I didn't think it was going to work out because the prongs that hold the mount on the treadmill weren't wide enough to fit over my console panel.  If it didn't have a secure hold, I was worried that it would bounce around and make me dizzy, or worse, fall off and BOOM - there goes my new Kindle Fire.

After playing with it for a few days, I realized that it's pretty secure, and I've been using it for between 4-10 miles of walking every day for over a month now.  Even at a slow jog, it doesn't shift or move at all, even though my cheaper treadmill isn't nearly as sturdy as better, higher-priced models.  My eyes and equilibrium definitely appreciate that the words aren't bouncing around on my Kindle screen!


© Marie Anne St. Jean


I'm in the throes of a huge challenge on Leap4Life, and this tablet holder has been a lifesaver for me as a Kindle bookshelf.  I just make sure I have at least one good book to read and set my treadmill to a pace to either walk at a steady clip or a slow jogging pace, and off I go, letting my mind wander off into whatever depths the plot takes me.  With a really good read, my feet and legs don't even realize how far they're carrying me, and my mileage has increased greatly.

So if schlepping along on the treadmill is incredibly boring to you, find a way to make the experience just a little brighter.  The earbuds and treadmill bookshelf make a huge difference to me.

~ Marie Anne

P.S.  While my hat has surely seen better days, my Kindle screen isn't cracked.  It's the reflection of my ceiling.

P.P.S.  I did receive the earbuds at a reduced price in order to review them on amazon, but this blog post is just an afterthought, and not influenced in any way by the discount.  I purchased both the Kindle Fire and the iPad holder at full price and am not receiving compensation for mentioning them here.  If you happen to make a purchase after following one of my links, I might make a few pennies.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my post. Much appreciated!